TERRIBLE TOURISTS IN AUCKLAND
Geees we're terrible tourists. We've just spent almost 3 weeks house sitting in Auckland, New Zealand and really didn't do all that much..
Never made it up the Sky Tower ($75 didn't feel like good value to us), never actually made it into the centre of town (don't exactly love big cities anyway), & skipped a lot of the other big ticket items.
But we did still enjoy our time. Here's what we did do (prices quoted are for 2 adults, 1 child, 1 infant):
- Swam at Piha beach a couple of times (free)
- Explored the Waitakere Ranges including the awesome Arataki Visitor Centre (free)
- Visited MOTAT (Museum of Transport and Technology) and temporarily pretended we were home by going on a Melbourne tram ($36 with AA discount, and we were there for over 4 hours)
- Explored the amazing Auckland Museum (free for NZ residents but donations appreciated) & visited the LEGO exhibition which was awesome (would have cost $60, but it was a Christmas present from Ninny & Pa)
- Climbed Maungawhau/Mount Eden for gorgeous 360° views of the city (free)
Went boat spotting at Silo Park and the Wynyard Quarter, and checked out where the America's Cup will be run ($6 for parking)
- Spotted some dinosaurs at the excellent Auckland Botanic Gardens (gardens free, dinosaurs $42)
And the rest of our time was spent relaxing at 'home' with 19 sheep, 7 chickens, and a sweet little dog, reading lots of books, and getting a head start on Ryan's schoolwork for the year.
All in all, a pretty good 3 weeks. But we will be passing back through at some point, so if there's something you think we missed that we really should see, then please let us know for next time.